Beware: Long(ish) Post.
The Air Force and I have a love/hate relationship. I love being a family in the armed service, each of us making our own sacrifices for the betterment and protection of our country. In the past 7 years, I've learned that if you can deal with the hardships, it's a great life. One such hardship is the constant moving around. I hate moving and I hate when our friends move. It's hard on families, constantly starting over with schools and neighbors and churches and friends. Here are a few friends we've parted ways with:
Seth and Erica Deam, our first true "couple" friends after we got married when we were at Eglin AFB. Seth and Brian have been friends since The Academy. The Deam's even visited us in Alaska, as seen here. These travels then moved to DC, then LA, and now they're stationed in England. I just bet we run into then again.
Mike and Katie Hagan, now stationed in Colorado. Again, an Academy friend, but we ran into them in Alaska, at the Idiarod Race of all places. Both of our families have 2 boys now and Katie's family is from Boise, so we've actually seen then since leaving Alaska.
Brad and Angie Darling, now stationed in Virginia. How many times did we camp overnight at that very cabin with the dogs? These guys were friends of friends when we met them, but we grew so close they made us godparents to their daughter Addison and we made them Caleb's. We now have 4 children between us, all under the age of 3, who have never met. This WILL be amended someday, Ang.
Jason and Liz Eitutis, with daughter Sammy, now 5. We've not met their son, Elijah. Jason and Brian went on many hunting trip together. This picture was taken on a hike we all went on--that's Anchorage in the background. They are in Colorado now.
Laurie Register, husband Nick not pictured. Laurie, can you believe I don't have a single picture of you guys together? Laurie and I didn't become real friends until we both quit our jobs and had our first babies together going into the Alaskan winter. How many times did we cry together at Starbucks, our post-partum hormones and fussy babies making us crazy? This picture still hangs on my fridge and I tell Jack all about Mama's friend Laurie. The Register's are in Panama City, but will be moving to San Antonio this summer. 
Brad and Angie Darling, now stationed in Virginia. How many times did we camp overnight at that very cabin with the dogs? These guys were friends of friends when we met them, but we grew so close they made us godparents to their daughter Addison and we made them Caleb's. We now have 4 children between us, all under the age of 3, who have never met. This WILL be amended someday, Ang.Look how little the kids were, Laurie! Jack's first girlfriend, little Evan.
Terri, Chris, and Julie, my fellow law firm administrators, back b4 babies, when I was working in Alaska at Hartig, Rhodes, Hoge & Lekisch, http://www.hartig.com/ (gotta plug the ol' firm!).
I miss you guys and these days, though I'm not sure which are more difficult to manage, lawyers or babies.
Terri, Chris, and Julie, my fellow law firm administrators, back b4 babies, when I was working in Alaska at Hartig, Rhodes, Hoge & Lekisch, http://www.hartig.com/ (gotta plug the ol' firm!).
I miss you guys and these days, though I'm not sure which are more difficult to manage, lawyers or babies.Lawyers.
But I better be careful, my father-in-law is a lawyer.
Poor Grandma Sue.
Brian and Sharon Smith, our very dear friends from Alaska. Between our families, we have 7 boys! Mind you, WE only have 2, so they are some busy people. Brian and Brian shared an office in Alaska and Sharon was my rock climbing partner/sounding board/idol. These people are amazing, kind, funny, and (insert complimentary adjective here), and if we ever meet up with them again, I'll give a head's up so you'll be warned of the pending chaos and fun! They are now stationed in San Angelo. (Note, I'm the only one without an Alaskan home brew and my shirt is doing some serious work covering my growing belly.)
And most recently, Travis and Lisa Hazeltine. We were fortunate enough to be neighbors with them in Alaska and then again here in Mtn Home. I can't believe they left us again! For Eglin, no less! Their daughter, Avery, and Jack are the same age and we had some wonderful times with them: bar-b-q's, the zoo, holidays, Rafiki, purse chicken (don't ask). Their departure was the hardest for Jack, since he was old enough to want to play with Cole and Avery and knew where their house was.
Remember this trip last summer to the State Fair, Lisa? PS. Lisa is having another baby tomorrow!!!!
PCS season is upon us again, and our next friends to leave will be the Schore's. This goodbye is especially hard b/c they live just down the street and their son Derrick is the same age as Jack and watching these 2 boys together has been one laugh after another. For instance, every time they go up to Jack's room to play, they strip down to their underwear and jump endlessly on the bed, laughing and laughing. Here are a few pics of these two monkeys. Note: some of them portray the boys as "more than friends" but it's really quite innocent!
With Derrick's sister, Alex.
So there you have it. Our Air Force family, scattered all across the world. We miss our friends, we wish them well in all their travels. But hey, when they move, it's just an excuse to take trips to see them.
PS. I miss these people too. I doubt I will ever see them again.
2 comments:
Oh, you'll see those last people again...in about 17 years. ;)
We'll miss you guys! I love the pictures of the little buddies :)
Friend, this post made me cry! I miss you so much!!!
Post a Comment