Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Boys, boys, boys...


Caleb broke his fibula. 16 months old. I hope this isn't a small window of things to come, but with these two crazy boys who have NO fear, I'm afraid ER visits will just be a part of my future.
So here's what happened. We have friends over, my new friend Alex and her 2 boys, Ryan and Bryce. I'm pushing Caleb in his baby swing on the swingset. He's all strapped in and having a great time. Well, I guess the straps had weakened over the summer, being exposed to both the sun and the water from the sprinklers. He was in the full backswing and Boom!, he flies out and lands like a pancake, facedown. I race to pick him up, he's VERY upset of course, and I check him out the best I can. He seems to calm down a bit and sits in his highchair to eat a snack. I change his diaper, since it's about his naptime. When I stand him up, he falls down and starts crying. I stand him back up and watch him. He tries to walk to me, but can't and falls down again. Time to go to the doctor. I basically kick Alex and her boys out of the house (Sorry Alex!!!), call my wonderful neighbor to watch Jack, and we head to base. By some miracle, the waiting room is empty and we are being seen in minutes. 3 Xrays later, we have one very tired and scared baby with a break. Since it's the non-weightbearing bone in the shin and he's so young, no cast. He'll be healed in a week. A WEEK!!! I can't believe how fast kids heal.
So now we're back at home and he's pretty cranky b/c he can't walk anywhere and his leg hurts. It's so sad to see him try to walk to me or follow Jack. Hopefully he'll be back to himself soon.

In other news, Jack and Brian went on their first father-son camping trip up in Pine, Idaho. They had a great time--smores, hot dogs, chips, digging in the dirt, firepit, etc. They had a blast, but got very little sleep b/c their campsite was really close to the road. You know Jack is extremely tired when he actually tells you he's tired! Mostly he fights naptime and bedtime...not that day!
See the little yellow plastic chair? That was supposed to be Jack's, but he didn't want to sit in it, he wanted to sit in Daddy's chair and eat chips and s'mores. Brian said he felt pretty silly when people drove by and he was sitting on the yellow chair and Jack was in the adult camp chair. Note to self: bring TWO camp chairs next time!


Brian got certified in CrossFit, this workout/diet that we both are currently into. It's awesome and really intense. It's great b/c if there's a day I can't get to the gym, I can do a workout at home and they are never more than 30 minutes long. We're seeing results and enjoying doing it together. Who knew I married my personal trainer?!

After much debate, we decided to put Jack in preschool this year, 3 mornings a week. I'm still sad to see him getting so big, but I'm excited for both of us. He'll absolutely love it and he'll be going with some of his little friends. Caleb and I will finally get some time to ourselves, which just never happens (unless we're in the ER!). So, I'm both sad and happy about this choice, but it will be good for all of us.

I'm not going to mention how he still isn't fully potty trained, but we've made progress. I'm also not going to say that potty training is the most challenging, discouraging, spirit-killing, patience-trying thing I've encountered as a parent thus far. After this experience, we've decided Caleb will be in diapers until he's 4!!! Ha!

3 comments:

I'm Erin. said...

1) Poor baby Caleb
2) Jack camping is too cute
3) He'll love school
4) Miss you guys and thanks for extending the life of my check. I might have gone hungry if it weren't for that $5.25

Darling's said...

Oh NO! I am glad that a week is the proper cure and not something more, crazy! Love the pictures of the boys camping trip, what a start of many memories to come =-) Thanks for the update!

Tiffany Wickes said...

That ER visit would have been very scary. Preschool, very exciting and yes seems sad. Nolan won't be 3 until December so we have another year until he separates from my all day care. Certified cross fitter huh?! Very cool.