As I've mentioned before, Jack is a fantastic eater. He loves broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, snap peas (see earlier post), tomatoes, as well as the usual fruits that most kids love--apples, oranges, grapes, peaches, etc. He's been this way since he was born.
Caleb, not so much. Seeing as we have raised the boys the same way, I'm convinced Good and/or Bad Eaters are born not made. I also am convinced these eating habits can be altered, with some tough-love parenting, which we all know, is exceedingly painful for both parent and child.
I have two examples, both which worked, but SUCKED for all parties involved.
1. The List
This was how Brian and his brother became Good Eaters. Their father, my FIL, probably the most kind, fair, honest, upstanding man I know, was a tough-love parent. Not mean, not a yeller, but a firm belief that children are to obey and parents are to teach. If you have an out of control child, it is your own fault b/c you failed to teach that child.
One thing he taught his children was to eat what was placed in front of you. No tantrums, no 4 hours at the dinner table, nada. You ate it in a timely manner and if you didn't, the item you refused went on The List. You did not have dessert again until that item was served again and you ate it, thus removing the item from The List. His mom made sure to make fantastic desserts when the boys had items on their lists. And that item may not be served again for a week or so.
Tough Love. But it worked. Both Brian and his brother will eat anything. They don't necessary like everything, but they will eat it. Brian hates broccoli, but he eats it at least once a week.
2. My friend Sharon has 5 boys (FIVE!!!), ages 9 through 1. She cannot make multiple meals for the pickier eaters in her house, there simply isn't enough time in her day. Her most challenging child, Jacksen (hmmm, coincidence?), gives her the most headache with food.
Or at least, he used to.
One day, Sharon made chicken quesadillas for dinner. Jacksen had been hungry all day, randomly begging for food, but he decided he didn't want chicken quesadillas. Fed up, Sharon said, Fine, you're excused from the table. Of course, he asked for something else about an hour later. She directed him to his quesadillas still on the table. Nope, he didn't want those. So he went to bed with no supper. Next morning, Jacksen is quite hungry. He sits at the table and she places his plate in front of him. You guessed it: quesadillas.
Jacksen ate the quesadillas and she didn't have that particular problem with him again.
She has since filled me in on several other issue, though! I'll pass on some of the more "intriguing" ones in future blogs.
1 comment:
Food for thought? (hahaha...) I think the list is a great idea. I"m lucky that Nolan will eat anything, Georgia is starting to be picky. She is still too little to reason, what of the food diligence then?
Post a Comment